₦250bn Defection Scandal: Tinubu Govt Faces Allegations of Buying Over Opposition Governors


The administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is facing mounting allegations of orchestrating a massive financial inducement scheme to lure opposition governors and lawmakers into the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Reports first surfaced this week from Sahara Reporters, which claimed that each governor who recently defected to the APC received ₦250 billion in financial incentives, allegedly disbursed in two tranches: ₦100 billion as an initial commitment grant and ₦150 billion upon formal defection. The report further alleged that senators who crossed over to the ruling party were each offered ₦1 billion, while members of the House of Representatives received ₦500 million apiece.

Among the governors reportedly enticed by the alleged payouts are Enugu State’s Peter Mbah, Bayelsa’s Douye Diri, and Delta’s Sheriff Oborevwori, all of whom have either publicly joined the APC or are believed to be in talks to do so. The development has triggered outrage across political and civil society circles, with many accusing the presidency of weaponising public funds to consolidate power and dismantle opposition structures ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Political observers note that this pattern of high-profile defections mirrors tactics seen in previous administrations but warn that the alleged sums involved mark an unprecedented escalation in Nigeria’s political monetisation. “If these reports are true, it suggests not just corruption but the outright purchase of democracy,” said one Abuja-based political analyst. “It’s a systematic attempt to turn Nigeria into a one-party state through financial coercion rather than persuasion or governance performance.”

The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned what it calls a deliberate attempt by the Tinubu government to “destroy democratic competition and entrench authoritarian rule.” In a statement released on Friday, the PDP claimed that several of its governors were being harassed, intimidated, and blackmailed into joining the APC through both financial offers and threats of investigation by federal agencies. “The Tinubu administration has turned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission into a political weapon,” the statement read, alleging that anti-graft probes were selectively deployed against opposition figures who refused to defect.

Former vice-presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar echoed similar concerns, warning that the federal government’s conduct could erode public confidence in democratic institutions. “What we are witnessing is not politics — it’s a state capture project,” he said. “Democracy cannot thrive in an environment where loyalty is purchased with billions of naira instead of earned through performance and trust.”

So far, the presidency has remained silent on the specific ₦250 billion allegation. Presidential aides have privately dismissed the reports as “baseless propaganda,” but no official statement has been issued by the Minister of Information or the APC leadership. Requests for comment sent to the presidency’s media office and the APC national secretariat have gone unanswered as of Saturday evening.

The allegations come amid growing concerns about Nigeria’s economic and fiscal management, with citizens already burdened by high inflation, rising food prices, and persistent unemployment. Critics argue that the notion of such vast sums being diverted to political purposes at a time of widespread hardship only deepens public anger and widens the trust deficit between government and the governed. “How can the same government that claims to be struggling to pay university lecturers and fund social welfare programs have ₦250 billion to buy defections?” asked one Lagos-based economist. “If this is true, it’s both morally and economically indefensible.”

Independent analysts warn that if not thoroughly investigated, the scandal could have lasting consequences for Nigeria’s democratic integrity. With several states now shifting allegiance to the APC, concerns are rising that the country is sliding into de facto one-party dominance. Human rights groups have urged the National Assembly and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to launch inquiries into the alleged payments, demanding full transparency over federal disbursements to states.

Meanwhile, civil society organisations and electoral watchdogs say the controversy underscores the urgent need for campaign finance reform and stricter oversight of intergovernmental transfers. “Money politics is not new in Nigeria,” said Clement Nwankwo of the Situation Room coalition. “What’s new is the scale — the brazenness with which public funds appear to be traded for political loyalty. This is not just corruption; it’s a direct threat to democracy.”

As the uproar continues, pressure is building on President Tinubu to personally address the allegations and either deny them with evidence or commit to an independent probe. Opposition lawmakers in the National Assembly have signalled plans to raise the matter in plenary sessions next week, calling for an audit of federal allocations and special grants disbursed to state governments in recent months. Whether this results in tangible accountability remains to be seen, but for now, the administration faces a credibility crisis that could define its political legacy.

The ₦250 billion scandal has not only cast a shadow over Tinubu’s promises of reform and transparency but also reignited the debate about the corrosive influence of money on Nigeria’s political system. As one observer put it: “This is no longer about defections — it’s about whether our democracy still has a price tag, and if so, who’s paying it.”

Previous Post Next Post
Youtube Channel Image
Infosprint News Subscribe To Our Youtube Page
Subscribe